Wednesday, November 9, 2011

existentialism

            To me the whole idea of existentialism is a tricky situation. There are some portions in which I believe in, well kind of actually I am not 100% on any one thing, and there are other things that I completely just shut down, I do not believe in them and I find them to be absurd. I want to really talk more about the existential beliefs that I found to be interested in and well these are the ones that I lean a little bit more towards. I did a quick Google search of what existentialism is all about and came across this philosophy website, http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/existentialism.htm.

“There are things that are not rational” and “decisions are not without stress and consequences”. These are two of the concepts that existentialism takes into consideration. These concepts (the use of the word ‘concept’ rather than ‘belief’ is much more suiting but that is beside the point) are ones that I found to be truly and almost completely true. I would not, however, consider myself and existentialist. The second one, “decisions are not without stress and consequences” holds true in many cases, it is similar to one of the Newtonian Laws, “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” Whenever you do something there will always be some form of consequence, now consequence has such a negative connotation but it can be either good or bad depending on the decision and well stress is always and forever present, nothing is really stress-free.

The first concept, “There are things that are not rational” just completely amazes me because here they are literally just saying that there are some things that just cannot be explained so do not try to explain it. It just points out all of the ambiguous cases and says that they are supposed to be there. In other words, they answered a question that supposedly had no answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment